Friday, June 25, 2010

Beware of 'Roid Rage

I went in for another check up the other day - just a follow up after my surgery. My doctor takes a look around, peeks at my incisions, and declares me "cured." I look at him, questioning what this means. All my Internet research has never drummed up a cure for PCOS. If it had, you can guarantee that would have been the first thing I'd gone looking for.

"Well," he says, "I don't mean cured. You're still not ovulating. But, your internal organs look great. There's no evidence of endometriosis, and we've taken out some of the cysts. You should be able to have children. However, be aware! It can take women with PCOS longer to conceive."

I let the words wash over me carefully. This is good news, I think. This is what I had wanted - and waited - to hear. However, recalling my seventh grade sexual education classes, I ask if there's any evidence of ovulation, since I'm certain that needs to occur before I can conceive.

"No," he replies, somewhat cautiously. "And I'm not sure why. But, never fear! This is why scientists invented Clomid!"

Clomid is a drug used to stimulate ovulation in patients with PCOS. It's also an anabolic steroid, used by body builders. Side effects include overstimulation of the ovaries, hot flashes, mood swings, and 'roid rage. And, as my doctor informed me, I may have a more severe reaction to Clomid, considering my the reaction I had when I was on hormone replacement therapy.

So, I think to myself, I am now in a Catch-22. Taking Clomid may make increase my chances for ovulation, but my husband will be so scared of me that he won't come near me. What's a girl to do and why can't I seem to catch a break? So, I tell my doctor, thanks - but no thanks.

You see, my body has been on a number of drugs for a really long time. I've been on birth control since high school - for at least ten years. And, let's not forget the number of painkillers I've taken after all nine (yes, nine) of my surgeries, as well as all the hormones and antibiotics prescribed after the most recent procedures. It needs a break - I need a break. I want a few months to myself to let my body figure out how it's supposed to behave without pharmaceutical interference. Maybe everything just needs to clear out of my system and everything will turn itself right again.

But again, I need to have a plan. So, I left armed with graphs and charts so I can plot my basal body temperature. We'll continue in this fashion for a few months to keep track of any potential for ovulation. If I continue to remain in this infertile state, I'll consider taking Clomid. But don't worry - I'll make sure to warn you all first.

No comments:

Post a Comment