Sunday, June 13, 2010

MTV can Bite Me

I'm starting to get irrationally angry at certain television shows and movies. The latest one I'm starting to get upset about is a show on MTV called "16 & Pregnant." First of all, from an objective view point, it seems contrary to give a television show to pregnant teenagers when we should be teaching them about practicing safe sex and abstinence. To me, MTV is saying, "Hey, you made a completely irresponsible decision, but we'll put you on T.V. and in magazines." It's like rewarding irresponsibility and encouraging other girls to show the same lack of restraint. As if the only thing standing between them and stardom is a just a baby away.

From a completely subjective perspective, though, I get so mad that those girls can get pregnant without even trying...and then, most of the time, they don't even want the baby and they act like it's a huge burden that they're saddled with a child. Now granted, I probably would have felt the same way if I had a baby when I was a teenager. However, had I known that I probably wouldn't have been able to have children, I might have been promiscuous, which I wasn't. It may have been a double-edged sword at the time.

I am at that age where everyone seems to be having babies. I see round baby bellies everywhere. It seems every time I turn around, another girlfriend is pregnant or another one has just given birth. I don't mean to sound bitter. I'm not. Truthfully, I am so jealous that sometimes I have to hold my breath until the feeling passes. Which, I suppose, makes me sound like a bitter (and barren) woman. And, it kills me that no one else seems to be having the problems I am. I've read the statistics. I know that 6.1 million women are affected by infertility. Some indicate that the as many as one in five women have difficulty or an inability to get pregnant. Other figures indicate it's closer to one in ten. Guess what? I know five women. I know ten women. I probably know one hundred women. So why, then, do I feel singled out? Why do I feel like I'm the only one with this problem?

But again, I sound ungrateful. I have been given so much. My husband supports and loves me. My friends will listen for hours. My family cries when I do. My sister offered to be a surrogate for me. I am overwhelmed at the amount of support I've been given. How, then, can I feel so unlucky?

So, that's why I put this blog out there. Maybe someone will stumble across it some day and she can realize that she's not alone out there either.

No comments:

Post a Comment